CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

tubes?

So Luke has his 4th ear infection. He had 3 in two months, took a month off and now has another one. Basically if his nose is running, he's gonna get one... so the doctor is recommending I see an ENT to discuss tubes. Since these ear infections are in the "healthier months" she is very concerned about what the colder months will be like for us.
I've heard they are expensive and of course it is surgery so I want to do my reasearch. Past those two things I hear very positive stuff. My pediatrician recommended Dr. Mowery, but I'd love to hear your stories (good or bad) and see if you have recommendations for an ENT.
Oh, and did I say I'm sleep deprived? which may factor into my decision for tubes... :)

4 comments:

The Elliott's Adventures said...

i've had friends tell me both ways...some say they didn't help at all and others have said they were great. i've definitely heard that it was very easy and the kids handle it well. praying for you as you decide.

Sarah said...

Both riley and ford have tubes...our reasons for the tubes were different (fluid in their ears which reduced their hearing by 50%). Anyway, for us, it was life changing because my kids could hear again (and I don't say that lightly- it's frustrating when your kids are partially deaf). The surgery was super easy (we had adneoids taken out too), the kids were both back to normal by that afternoon (playing outside), and I think we paid $500 out of pocket for everything. Completely worth it though- wish I had done it sooner with riley and not put it off.

JB said...

Hey Lindsey- AK had tubes at 10months. She had 5 double infections in 3 months. She didn't strat getting them until 7 months old. Anyway, we used Dr.Crook. He has an office in Franklin, but we had surgery at Baptist (our choice). It was expensive, and the ear infections have not gone away (I think we've had 4-5 since tubes), BUT, they are not near as painful now and very easy to treat. When we see her tube draining, I just give her ear drops and she's fine. When Dr. Crook came out of surgery (it literally lasted about 8 minutes) he said he suctioned so much fluid out of her she would've just continued to breed bacteria and stay on antibiotics until we did tubes. We are very glad we did it, because she is no longer on a new antibiotic every 2 weeks, or having to get shots when the antibitotic doesn't work.

Good luck! :)

Stacie said...

Hey Lindsey... When I was still in TN, and began working as a nurse, I worked at Brentwood Children's Clinic. We referred many patients to Dr. Crook, Jr, and also to Dr. Mowery. I had patients state that both doctors were good. They usually just use a gas type of anesthesia mainly to help the kids hold still, otherwise they say they can do the procedure in the office. It is quick and simple and can help prevent many further complications from having chronic ear infections.