CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 30, 2012

NICU

I had an IV of magnesium today. I was so nervouse about it!  I have just been "living" here in Baptist and not needing any extra shots or poking or medicines, so the thought of it made me a little anxious. I had talked to my high risk doctor over the weekend and discussed it being a good time to get the IV and one more steroid shot for baby's lungs. The meds are most effective for a 2 week period and she felt like if we get 2 more weeks of baby staying in utero, that we will be out of the zone of baby boy needing as much extra help. They have said that making it to 28+ weeks is a milestone (I'm approaching 29). That 30 would be better, 32 would be great & by getting to 34 they would expect the health of a full term baby (minus a few pounds)! I feel comfort that we took a proactive step. I began to fear a change occuring and not being able to get the medicine he needs quickly enough (24 hours to take effect). My biggest risk at this point is contractions. I don't have a history of pre-term labor, so we are praying this pregnancy will prove to be the same. The doctors tell me the uterus has an amazing ability to hold even when it's very thin.
I also visited the NICU for the first time this weekend. I wanted to prepare myself as much as I could for what to expect when baby boy is born. Baptist's NICU is amazing!!  Now, I don't have much to compare it to, but the technology in there is unprecidented. The nurse to baby ratio is 2:1 and sometimes 1:1. Although it was hard to imagine our little boy being 3 or 4 lbs with a feeding tube, the success and growth of the babies is trememendous and the staff encouraged me that it won't take too long for little boy Purifoy to get to a size that is comparable to full term babies at his same age. It was hardest for me to swallow that, depending on what gestation he is born, I may not be able to hold him for a while. Touch raises their heart rate and therefore makes their heart and lungs work harder when technically, as a preterm baby, they are not ready to be touched. I'm eating up all this information. It is so intriguing to me. Thank you again for all your prayer and support. I couldn't make it as sanely as I have without you!!

0 comments: